Wednesday, March 19, 2014

Fearing Fear Dedicated to my oldest daughter.




Psalm 23:4 (ESV)

Even though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I will fear no evil, for you are with me; your rod and your staff, they comfort me

My oldest daughter has Epilepsy and is plagued with the anxiety attacks that seem to go along with the illness. Every three years she has to have a through check up, which includes a blood draw. Although she hasn't had a seizure in over three years, her last two seizures occurred while she was having her blood drawn.With this in mind, it is only natural that she be frightened of the procedure. For those who are not familiar with the illness, a seizure can mean the loss of driving privileges for 3-6 months or forever depending upon the severity and frequency of the seizures. For an independent, super active young woman like my daughter, that would be catastrophic! Each time her dreaded appointment date approaches, her anxiety level goes through the roof, she doesn't get enough sleep and is unable to eat just thinking about it.


This last time when her dreaded appointment date finally arrived, she called me very early and I reminded her of her faith and that I would be praying. I even went so far as to ask her to call me prior to the procedure and I would talk her through it, if she wanted me to. After talking to me she wisely threw some clothes on and went to the gym. While she worked out, her prayer warriors did their thing. We prayed for complete healing, peace, serenity and a successful, seize free appointment and that her anxieties would diminish and flee from her, leaving her in peace.

 Job 3:25 (NIV)
 What I feared has come upon me;
    what I dreaded has happened to me.    

When my phone finally rang, I was thrilled to hear her voice. It was small, yet very strong, ringing with happiness when she said to me "Mom, it went really well, I didn't have any problems at all." I was relieved, thrilled and thankful, all at the same time! She told me of the wonderful nurse on duty who was so kind to her and made her laugh and that it was over before she knew it. It is now behind her for another three years and I have faith it will not present a problem for her ever again.
Prayers were answered, God is good all the time!

Deuteronomy 31:6 (ESV)
Be strong and courageous. 
Do not fear or be in dread of them, 
for it is the Lord your God who goes with you.
 He will not leave you or forsake you.”


It is only human to be afraid or fearful. We each have things that scare us to death and although our fears may seem foolish or silly to others, they are real and anything but funny to us. How easily we forget to look to God, pray and not become immobilized by our fears. The more we focus on those fears, the more power we give them. Our fears may belong to us, but we must fight to prevent them from owning us. 

I like to refer to it as The Nike Rule...  Just do it!

Jesus wants us to live a life without fear and He will help us. Once we march through our fear or that fear comes upon us and we survive it, a calm overtakes us and it is the best feeling imaginable.
We wonder what in the World took us so long to look them in the eye.

The following is a list of various fears people have. 
The Phobia List   I am fairly certain that you will find as I did, that you are thankful to be the way you are.

Stay blessed!

No comments:

Post a Comment